Sunday, July 27, 2008

Sigur Ros

So who are Sigur Ros?

Well if you just clicked on their name you can read all about them on Wikipedia.  The overall description given to them on the site is this:

Sigur Rós (['sɪːɣʏr rouːs] (help·info)) are an Icelandic post-rock band with melodic, classical and minimalist elements. The band is known for its ethereal sound and lead singer Jónsi Birgisson's falsetto voice.

Basically, they are a band that does not sing in english, but that doesn't even matter... the music is that good. Another interesting thing is the lead singer often plays the guitar with a violin bow like this:

image

They are, without a doubt, my favorite band. Radiohead had top billing in my mind for a while, but a new favorite has emerged. I've been to 2 Radiohead concerts... both were amazing. However, they both pale when compared to the first time I saw Sigur Ros 2 years ago in Detroit.

The just released a new album and I heard it for the first time today. It is unbelievably good. I can't give it justice through words... so here is what I felt like when hearing it for the first time:

happywalrus

Ok, enough of me giving them praise. Check them out at their official website. I think they have most, if not all, of their new album on the main page with free streaming.  They are also playing again in Detroit on September 23rd. I believe the show is sold out already, but I am sure they can be found on eBay! I will be there!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

nice dood. I'm downloading the album from the site, right now. Umm, do you remember the name of the album by some guy related to Sigur Ros? I think it had something to do with airplanes? or a soundtrack to a movie.